CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 17, 2007






I wanted to explain how we wash clothes here because it´s so cool, and I have a pic of me doing it. So there´s this large concrete basin full of water, and next to it is another concrete structure that slants slightly down. I use a plastic bowl to get the water and I pour it onto the first piece of clothing on the concrete structure and the extra water runs off onto the ground. After it´s wet, I use this green cylinder shaped soap and roll it all over the clothing, on both sides. I then pour water on it again and squish the shirt and rub it harshly onto the concrete to get it clean. After rinsing several times, I ring it and place it in a tub full of fabric softener. I repeat this with each piece of clothing, and then rinse it all again after it´s set in the bowl for a few minutes. Then, I hang each piece up on the wires outside of my family´s house until they dry. It´s really hard work, actually, and I feel like my clothes get cleaner here than the the washing machine!!! :) Props to the Salvadoran women who are masters at their full time jobs - housework!!
The way I bathe myself is I stand inside this little concrete room away from the casa, probably 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide, and there is another large concrete basin of water with a plastic bowl and a curtain to shield me from people´s viewing. I pour the water onto myself with each scoop of the cold cold water. I wash my hair last, and I have to brace myself for the shock of the frigid water on my head everytime. It definitely wakes me up!! It´s actually not all that bad, and daily it´s getting easier to adjust. Doésn´t all of it sound like fun?!?!
It´s an adventure that I´m enjoying and learning how to be flexible in more ways than one. I´m just hoping I don´t see a scorpion anytime soon, since I´ve heard stories today from other volunteers!!! Yikes!!! :}

By the way, I ate some sugar cane for the first time!!! Yummm!!!!

1 comments:

the williams said...

GINGER!!! it sounds like things are going so well and that you are totally adjusting well to life there. i'm so glad and so happy for you that you're jumping in with both feet. we will be praying for you! love you!!