CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 27, 2007

I started out this morning in a hurry because last night, I didn´t see one of the pieces of clothing hanging on the line, so I accidentally left it for the storm to play with. This morning, there was my black skirt, covered in mud and leaves...an unexpected surprise! I had planned my morning to be able to drink coffee and have some pan dulce before heading off to Nueva Granada, but I washed instead. So, I hurried off to wait infront of the school, in desperate need of my ¨daily drug¨where a pick-up truck passes every morning to haul in the teachers. It´s the other mode of transportation if we miss the bus that comes by at 6 am. Since my meeting was scheduled for 8, I decided to go in the car at 7:15. But, the car broke down and didn´t come until 7:40. Not a big deal, though...I´m getting more and more Salvadoran everyday when it comes to time. So, we rode the 45 minutes on our rocky, dirt (or should I say mud now that we´re in winter) road standing in the back of our red pick-up, hair blowing in the cool wind (a beautiful thing...lovin´me some winter weather), trying not to step on the person next to me or touch their butt or anything, and chatting about the man who died from drinking poison. I finally got to NG at 9 am, but it was fine. The mayor didn´t seem to mind, and we joked for a while before getting to the topic. He´s nice, and I finally got me some coffee! 2 cups to be exact :) He even shared some of his sweet bread. We have this huge project where we´re trying to get the members of the community to change their d.u.i.s to be registered with NG because that´s the territorial district we belong to. By doing this, it will be easier to receive funding and projects from the local government. It´s successful. The Mayor´s office is going to fix our road (YEH!!!) starting next week, and also will probably buy some land we need to solicit for the health clinic. I think he´s going to give us a ¨casa comunal¨also. So, I was excited by our visit, as always because it gives me hope that something´s going to happen, and soon! Also, chatted on the phone with the UN´s rep that I adore, and figured out what to do about some projects gone rye under their reign. So, it´s been a productive day. After all of that, I figured since I´m already out and about, I might as well head on over to Santiago to check my e-mail, buy some pan dulce, and see what all my peeps have sent me in the post office! I love pueblo days! So, I´m sipping on some coffee waiting on the P.O. to open after their long 2 hour lunch hour, and thinking of all of my loved ones that I miss in the States. December can´t come soon enough!!

This week I learned how to make corn tamales...they´re yummmmmmy! The fam made chicken tamales also, but still confused on how it´s done. Maybe next entry. If you want recipes of some yummy campo food, just ask!

1 comments:

the williams said...

i'm so glad that things are going well, ginger! i know you LOVE it and i can't wait to see you either in december!!! love you!